The Western Cape Medical Devices Cluster has seven founding members who share a vision of supporting the development of a competitive, growing medical devices sector in the Western Cape region, by enabling the growth of its members and providing services that benefit the industry as a whole.
This will contribute to employment, localisation, exports, transformation and improved healthcare provision in South Africa and more widely. The Cluster is currently investigating the opening up of membership to new membership.
- Certification support for Members and potentially the sector as a whole, to increase competitiveness and enable market access for international and local markets by having manufacturing premises which are certified in accordance with local and international standards, such as ISO 13485, CE Mark Medical Devices Directive and FDA approval.
- Marketing and lobbying to support increasing market access for local manufacturers to both public and corporate procurement.
- Lobbying and education initiatives to provide information to policy and law makers in regard to the specific characteristics of the medical device sector and its specific stakeholders.
- Conducting medical device sector research as well as the promotion of the sector to potential members and key sector stakeholders by, inter alia, compiling a detailed database of all participants within the medical devices sector and the hosting of workshops to, amongst other things;
- Establishing sector needs in terms of infrastructure, access of digital technology, red tape, skills development ,water usage and overall industry issues, such as certification;
- Generic sector needs in regard to aspects such as business sustainability, expansion, export development and stakeholder relations.
- Providing Members and sector participants with support and information so as to enhance the development of skills, job opportunities and the transformation of the medical devices sector in the Western Cape.